2017 2018

Bionic Scorpions

Team 9910




Please print and sign this waiver and bring it to NEIT with you!!!

Consent form NEIT

Inspection Friday, 1/19 4-6, Competition Saturday, 1/20, arrive at 7:30 am




Thank you to our 2017-2018 Sponsors:
Cadence
Scituate Lions Club
ICQ
Sheehan MEDIA
















2016 - 2017
The Greenhorns
Team 9910

This is our team photo from Unity Day during Homecoming Spirit Week.


The Archive
2015 - 2016
The Circuit Breakers
9910

               This is a picture of our team after our competition and our gracious mascot that cheered us on.

 This is a picture of our trophy that we received at the competition thanks to our PTC man, Fox.

  At first we started with what our main goals of scoring would be.  We decided that it would be scoring in a floor goal and do the pull-up along with hitting the all clear sign.  We would need to put a plow on the robot along with an arm.  From here we started drawing sketches of what our robot might look like.  Our first design was going to be a box.  Our arm on top was going to move in 360 degrees with three pivot points in order to grab onto the bar.  Once we started building we realized that a box shape wasn’t going to work.  So, the first thing we did was make the frame and attach wheels along with motors.  We thought at first that we might be able to use three wheels and the top wheel would be horizontal with the front of the robot, but we wouldn’t be able to climb the mountain that way.  We switched to four wheels instead.The picture below is of the way that we attached the wheel and motor to the frame.

After we got the frame finished then we had to brain storm ideas of an arm and try testing them out.  We essentially had three arm ideas.  Our first idea was to put two pieces of metal held together by a rod and would lift up when a piece of string tightened around the gear on a motor.  That wasn’t going to work because it required a lot of force to pull it up and the motor was not strong enough.  Then we changed it to a sliding mechanism but we didn’t use it for the same reason.  The third and final arm design was a collapsible arm with motors at the pivot points which would be easier on the motors then using the string.  In order to get the robot to hang and do the pull up we needed some sort of hook.  First, we tried bending sheet metal but it was too weak and couldn’t hold the robot.  Our only option was to make a wooden hook that is shown in the picture below.  We had to make multiple and ended up using different plywood and a thicker piece and then we sanded them down together to ensure that they were the same shape.

After we got the hooks and the arm made we had to attach it.  This wasn’t to difficult we had to make a base to support it and attach it with two pivot points on each side so that the arm would be able to lift up.  The product is shown in the picture below.

Next we had to wire our robot, but first we needed something to put it on.  The easiest solution was to cut a piece of sheet metal and put it on the bottom.  The picture below is when we were screwing the sheet metal into place. 

  Our next step was wiring.  We used velcro to fasten the wires, modules, and phone to the sheet metal.  As far as wiring we had gracious professionalism.  We wired the wheels wrong at first but with a few quick adjustments we had it working perfectly by the competition, but the arm still was not working.  Finally our completion came around and it was inspection.  Our robot was too big so we had to make a few minor adjustments. 

            The next day was competition.  Everything went well until our 4th and 5th round.  Our robot stopped moving and we couldn’t get any points.  We dropped from 7th to 15th.  At the end of it all we ended up getting a PTC design award thanks to Fox Fay one of our great teammates shown in to the picture above.  Now onto states!!!